2016 POMPANO BEACH FISHING RODEO OFFICIAL RULES
Anglers participating in the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo are expected to conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner and abide by the Rodeo rules and regulations as set forth below.
1. Applications are accepted by mail, fax, e-mail, on line, or in person and payment in form of cash, checks or credit card. Mail to: Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo, P.O. Box 5584, Lighthouse Point, Florida 33074 or fax entry to (954) 570-7786. In person at the Fish City and Helen S office located at 2705 North Riverside Drive, Pompano Beach, (954) 781-1211. Applications are also accepted at the Rodeo site during Rodeo events leading up to fishing days. All applications must be received by May 12, 2016 at 10:00 p.m.
2. Rodeo Headquarters: Alsdorf Park (14th Street Boat Ramp at the intracoastal), 2974 NE 14th St, Pompano Beach, FL 33062. All Rodeo activities take place here.
3. Eligible Fish: Cobia, Dolphin, King Mackerel, Blackfin Tuna, Wahoo.
4. Fish Limits / Minimum Fish Sizes / Weights: A maximum of ten (10) fish per day per boat may be weighed. A maximum of four (4) fish per species per day per boat may be weighed. The minimum weight for cobia, dolphin, king mackerel, Blackfin tuna and wahoo is ten (10) pounds. Fish not meeting these minimum weights will not count. All fish must meet state requirements. Please note: According to Florida state law, recreational anglers may harvest one cobia with a fork length of 33 inches or greater per angler per day. Recreational anglers may only possess two king mackerel 24 inches or greater per day per angler and only two wahoo per day per angler. There is now a 20-inch fork length minimum size for dolphin. Recreational bag limit is 10 dolphin.
5. Federal, State and Local Laws: The Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo Committee and any and all participants will abide by any federal, state and/or local laws that pertain to the environmental control of the fisheries. All registered anglers must possess a current Florida saltwater fishing license.
6. Scoring: Cobia, Dolphin, King Mackerel, Blackfin Tuna and wahoo are one (1) point per pound. Mutilated fish will not be eligible. The weigh-master’s decision is final. In case of weigh ties, earliest time of reported catch will prevail.
7. Hooking: Angler must hook and fight their own fish.
8. No Live Chumming: No live chumming is permitted. Live bait may only be used as bait, hooked to fishing line attached to a rod and reel. Live chumming will be defined as the act of throwing live bait overboard for the purpose of chumming or attracting fish to your boat.
9. Bait: No restrictions. Live bait is permitted.
10. Tackle: All fish must be caught on a rod and reel. Wire lines permitted.
11. Angler per Boat: There is no limit on the number of anglers per boat, however each angler must be registered to be considered an eligible angler.
12. Junior Angler: In order to be eligible, a junior angler must not be 15 years of age before the first day of the Rodeo. Junior angler points count for overall boat total. Junior anglers are eligible for all prizes awarded. It is the responsibility of the angler to check the appropriate box and provide the date of birth on the application indicating they qualify for this award. PLEASE NOTE: While Anglers 10 and under may be registered as a regular angler, such registration will disqualify them from the Publix Small Fry Division. We encourage kids 10 and under to participate in the Publix Small Fry Division at no cost (see rules following conclusion of Official Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo Rules).
13. Entry Refusal: The Fishing Rodeo reserves the right to refuse tournament application or entry from any prospective entrant with or without cause in its sole discretion. Any applicant refused entry shall be entitled to a refund of entry fee.
14. Fishing Boundaries: The fishing limits of this tournament are a) East – the watersof the United States, no more than twenty-five (25) miles offshore (b) North – Lake Worth Inlet (Palm Beach Inlet) and (c) South – Government Cut (Miami).
15. Communications: All eligible fish must be reported to Rodeo headquarters which will operate on VHF Channel 68. Channel 72 will be the alternative if 68 is jammed. Boats lacking marine radio must relay catches. You may not phone in your catch.
16. Hours of Fishing: Friday: 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. Saturday: 7:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. Fish hooked and called in on the VHF Radio and acknowledged by the Rodeo Committee prior to the end of fishing may be fought to completion, however boats must still arrive at the weigh-in prior to 6PM on Friday and 4PMon Saturday.
17. Start: Boats must be visually checked out from Hillsboro Inlet, check out procedures are the same for Friday and Saturday (there is no Bimini Start.) All boats must pass Rodeo check point for visual recognition and are subject to inspection. Boat numbers must be displayed at all times on the starboard side of your boat. Check-out location is on the dock at Hillsboro Inlet Park (east end of park, south side of inlet.) Boats may check out beginning at 6:00am and proceed to fishing grounds. No lines are permitted in the water between 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM, this includes bait fishing. Lines in the water is at 7:00am. Check out at the Inlet ends at 7:30AM. After 7:30, boats may be visually checked out at Fish City on the Southwest side of the inlet bridge.
18. Weather Conditions: In the event of unsafe conditions at sea, the Rodeo Committee, in its best judgment, may call off the Rodeo until better conditions prevail. If one day is “weathered out,” the Rodeo shall be based on the results of the day fished. Such notice of cancellation and resumption will be broadcast on Channel 68. In the event of full cancellation, entry refunds will be made (less necessary tournament expenses) within 30 days.
19. Official Weigh Station; Rodeo scales at Alsdorf Boat Ramp Park constitute the official weigh station. Weigh in hours are Friday: 2:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. and Saturday: 12:00 NOON to 4:00 P.M. There will be no exceptions. All fish must be brought to the weigh station in the boat from which the fish were caught. All decisions of the weigh-master are final. No fish bags are permitted on dock or weigh station.
20. Protests: Any protest concerning conduct of an angler or rule violation must be filed the day of alleged violation by registered angler. Protests must be submitted in writing and accompanied by $100 cash to Rodeo Headquarters by 7:00 P.M. on Friday and. 5:00 P.M. on Saturday. All decisions of the Board of Directors will be final.
21. Polygraph: All registered anglers must be available at the phone number listed on the entry form to submit to a polygraph test as determined by the Board of Directors. Polygraph testing will take place the morning of May 15th.
22. Prizes: All prizes will be awarded for eligible fish caught. Prize winners are required to give their Social Security numbers or Federal Tax (FEI) number before payments are issued.
23. Hold Harmless: It is expressly understood that all participants in this tournament enter at their own risks, and that the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo, it’s officers and directors, sponsors and all persons connected directly or indirectly with the operations of the tournament, shall be exempt from any liability for libel, slander, loss, damage, negligence, harm, injury or death suffered by any participant, entrant, sport fisherman, companions, boat captains, mates, crew members, vessels and equipment which may occur during the tournament. By signing the entry form, the angler consents that the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo may use without payment or restriction, any photographs in which he or she appears for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to resale, advertising, commercial or promotional material. The angler further releases the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo, its officers, directors, sponsors and members from any injury, loss or damage which may result.
Publix Small Fry Division Official Rules
1. Registration is limited to anglers 10 years old or younger. Any Small Fry angler cannot have reached his or her 11th birthday prior to the first day of the Rodeo. Please check Small Fry angler box on the entry form and provide date of birth.
2. There is no registration fee for Small Fry anglers and each child must be accompanied by a paying regular boat entered in the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo.
3. The Small Fry division does not apply to the drift division.
4. Eligible fish: African Pompano, Blackfin Tuna, Cobia, Dolphin, Grouper, King Mackerel, Snapper and Tuna.
5. Minimum weigh of five (5) pounds per fish as long as the fish meets the requirements of federal, state and/or local regulations, if applicable. A maximum of three (3) fish per Small Fry angler per day can be weighed.
6. All other rules of the Rodeo found in the Rodeo rules will apply to Small Fry Division.
7. Small Fry Anglers will not be eligible for any prizes from the regular Rodeo Division. A separate prize structure will be determined by the Rodeo Committee and will be awarded based on the total weigh of fish caught per each Small Fry angler during both days of the tournament.
8. Fish may be hooked by an adult and the rod and reel supported as long as the Small Fry angler reels the fish to the boat.
9. The Small Fry division is a separate division by itself and in no way is part of the Junior Division of the regular tournament. Junior Division anglers are not eligible for the Small Fry division prizes. A small Fry angler cannot be registered in the Junior Division as well.
Drift Division Official Rules
All of the rule shown in the Official Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo rules apply to anglers participating in the Drift Division with the following exceptions:
1. Species of Fish: Dolphin, King Mackerel, Wahoo, Blackfin Tuna, Snapper, Grouper, African Pompano, Cobia, Blue Runner, Rainbow Runner, Triggerfish, Porgy and Ocean Talley.
2. Minimum Size: All fish must meet state requirements.
3. Scoring of Points: One point per pound for all species. In the event of a tie, prizes will be divided equally.
4. Hours of Fishing: Friday: 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. and Saturday: 7:00 A.M. to2:00 P.M.
5. Tackle: Fish must be caught on rod and reel using standard boat rig and boat provided bait. Standard rig consists of a leader no longer than the rod, no more than two (2) hooks in tandem or a single hook and a weight not to exceed 2 ounces. Wire leader is permitted. Wire lines, live bait, jigs, skirts or other paraphernalia will not be permitted. Must fish with boat provided bait.
6. Official Weigh Station: Hillsboro Inlet Marina.
7. All anglers must fish from either the Helen S VI or the Fish City Pride.
8. Drift anglers eligible for designated drift prizes only.
9. Drift anglers will receive a ticket for the Rodeo Jackpot for each cobia, dolphin, king mackerel, tuna and wahoo.
Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo Weigh In Rules
1. Weigh ins will take place at Alsdorf Boat Ramp Park located at 14 Street Causeway and the Intracoastal in Pompano Beach.
2. The scales will be open from 2:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. on Friday and 12:00 P.M. (Noon) to.4:00 P.M. on Saturday.
3. All weigh station information will be transmitted on VHF Channel 72 during weigh in hours.
4. Control boats will be stationed in the Intracoastal north of the boat ramp. If you have fish to weigh, call the control boats on Channel 72 as you pass to give them your boat and number and to receive instructions for pulling into the dock. There will also be a police boat on site to help control boat traffic at the dock. You must wait for your turn at the dock in the Intracoastal. Under no circumstances should you enter the canal until told to do so. We have to keep the canal clear for regular boat traffic.
5. Once at the dock, all anglers with fish must go to the same scale together to weigh in. A maximum of ten (10) fish per boat per day and a maximum of four (4) fish per species per boat may be weighed. It is the angler’s responsibility to verify the weights of the fish and fill out the Rodeo Jackpot ticket. No fish bags are permitted off the boat.
6. Please be courteous to your fellow anglers, be patient and stay in line. As long as you are in line and report to the control boat by 6:00 P.M. on Friday and 4:00 P.M. on Saturday, your catch will be eligible.